Photobucket Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, November 30, 2012

November 12th, 2012: Growth Discrepancy Appointment with PPA


Today we met with the specialist at PPA.  We had an hour ultrasound followed by the doctor rechecking measurements.  The ultrasound was pretty uncomfortable considering that morning I was feeling pretty sick.  I woke up feeling really cold, shivering, pain on my left side and nauseous.  By the time I got to PPA, I was feeling better, just sore on my left side.  After the ultrasound was done, the doctor came in to recheck measurements.  He asked me why I was there and I explained a growth discrepancy.  He asked what the numbers were and I wasn’t exactly sure and didn’t want to give inaccurate information.  He then told me he hadn’t checked my file!  Not too reassuring.  He then explained that they were showing a 17% discrepancy.  He said this is the conservative number and anything above this could bring some concern.  He feels 30% or higher is when testing needs to bring to make sure the baby is getting enough nutrients.  The bigger concern to him is if baby a, the girl, falls below the 10th percentile.  Today she was in the 30th and he was in the 50th.  I asked if there was any possibility of baby b taking baby a’s nutrients considering they each have their own placenta.  He said not really.  What would most likely happen is that her placenta would be in a bad location, such as a corner therefore not getting enough nutrients.  He explained my uterus as being like real estate and it becomes very crowded.  He said he didn’t feel the need to see me again and I could follow up in 4 weeks with my OB.  Overall, it took most of my concerns away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.