Photobucket Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August 10th, 2012: First Appointment with PPA


When we arrived at PPA, I gave a urine sample to check for protein in my urine. I was then asked if I
had my finger pricked yet. I became super nervous as I had no idea what this meant. We had to wait
to be called back and have the ultrasound done.  When we went back, I was told to put my hand
under warm water.  She then went to prick my finger.  I asked what it was for and she said to check
for Trisomy.  The finger prick hurt more then anything!  It was bleeding instantly and bruised right
away. I never want to do that again!

I then went to do the ultrasound.  Again, I was scared that Baby B was not doing okay. It took a good
amount of time before I knew Baby B was okay.  She measured behind the babies necks and was
commenting how cute they were.  Baby B had the hiccups. She finished the ultrasound and was
leaving the room to check with the doctor.  We looked up the numbers of what would detect a
neural tube defect.  It had to be 2.5 or higher and both babies measured under .15cm. So even
though she didn’t share it with us, we were pretty sure they were okayJ

We then got called to have a consult with the doctor.  They acted like they didn’t know why we
were there.  I brought up my concerns with the SCH. She asked if I had talked with a different doctor
(the one my aunt recommended).   I hadn’t and she said I would talk with him or she would.  She
then rattled off why I was high risk and instilled so much fear in me. She made me feel like our risk
of birth defects and stil born were so much higher than they really are. I asked her if the percentage
was low (knowing it was) and she said it was 3% for a normal pregnancy but for me a little higher.  I
know it’s under 4%. She also said I’m at a higher risk for pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes due
to the twins and there being 2 placentas.  I also asked her about the SCH and she said it was at 5cm. 
I commented how it had grown and she said this was their first check so she couldn’t say it had
grown.  I asked her what the risks could be and she said bed rest or possible monitoring at the
hospital.  She also asked if I wanted cervical checks and I said I did. She said she would send
suggestions over to my OB. Overall, we were pretty disappointed with the experience.  We are
looking forward to meeting back with our own doctor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.