Photobucket Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, May 31, 2012

May 31st, 2012: Day after Egg Retrieval

Well, yesterday was the Egg Retrieval.  We arrived at 9:15 for a 10 appointment.  We went into the recovery room and I changed into a gown, booties and a cap.  We sat around and waited for the first retrieval to be completed. 




The anesthesiologist came to us and got my IV started.  I did much better this time!  Instead of my hand, it went into my arm.  We waited around for the doctor to arrive.  At 10:24, they came and got Kevin to go do his part.  I waited a few more minutes and then used the restroom before I went into the surgical room.



I walked into the surgical room and got strapped in.  I remember the doctor walking in and getting his gloves on.  The anesthesiologist said I would start feeling different.  Next thing I know, I’m completely groggy and Kevin was in the room.  Kevin and the doctor walked into the room at 11:20.  At that time, there were 14 eggs.  I do not remember hearing this.  I was really out of it and in some pain.  They gave me pain meds in my IV and a shot in my arm. 

I was really groggy the entire time in recovery.  I remember Kevin telling me there were 17 eggs total.  I was asked to go to the bathroom which I was able to do.  I started feeling sick and had to recline in the bed for a few minutes.  I finally got up and got dress and we left around 1:00. 


I’m not sure why, but this egg retrieval was much different than the first one.  I was completely out of it and remember very little. I’m thinking they gave me extra anesthesia since the retrieval took longer than expected (about 50 minutes).  I bleed during surgery so they had to apply pressure for 6 minutes.   I don’t remember getting into the car or the drive home.  Kevin said I slept the whole way home.  When we got in the house, I went to the bathroom, changed and got to the couch.  I ate lunch and went to sleep from 2-6.  I woke up and went to the bathroom and laid around until 9:30 and went back to sleep.  I had a rough night sleep and was in a lot of discomfort.  I took some Tylenol to help me sleep.

Today I am feeling a little better.  I have started remembering things and am hoping I didn’t do anything embarrassing.  It’s amazing how out of it I was! 
We got the call today that ICSI was done on 12/17 eggs.  Out of those 12, 10 fertilized.  We have our appointment on Saturday at 10.  We have to report at 9:30.  We’ll find out the quality then!

And.... the big guys start! OUCH!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.