Photobucket Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, April 5, 2012

March 29th, 2012: Egg Retrieval

After doing 51 injections in 12 days and preparing my body we went in for my egg retrieval on Thursday. They want to retrieve 8-12 eggs but with the meds I took they typically get over 12 eggs. Unfortunately, there were only 8 eggs and 1 was too small to retrieve. 7 eggs were retrieved. Due to our situation, we had to get a process done (ICSI) where they actually inject the eggs with sperm. I know, a little too much information but it's how it's done:)

We got the phone call yesterday informing us that 5 of the 7 eggs had ICSI done on them. I'm not sure why all 7 didn't have it done, but my guess is that those 2 weren't mature enough and wouldn't have made it. Out of the 5 that had ICSI done on them, 4 fertilized!!! They like to do the transfer on day 5 which would be Tuesday, but my doctor is doing it on day 3. I'm pretty bummed about this because statistics show that day 5 is better because the embryos have divided more and are "better" or more mature. My doctor explained that if you had 10+ fertilized, they wait until day 5 so they can monitor them and pick the best of the best. Since I only have 4, there is no point to wait until day 5. We will find out tomorrow what the "grade" of the embryos are. They will select the best 2 and hopefully we can freeze the remaining so next time we don't have to go through all these stimulating meds and can just do the transfer.

I thought injections would be done and over with, but now we are on to the BIG guys! I have to take progesterone to build up my lining so I don't miscarry if we get pregnant. I am also taking meds to help with implantation and to keep infections away. I have had such anxiety over these injections for the past 2 weeks. Kevin almost didn't do it.... It's pretty scary because the needle is the size of a toothpick. Well, we did the first one last night, and I survived! Minimum 2 weeks of those, possibly 12!



YIKES!...

Our new schedule to live by

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.